Monday, January 25, 2010

Michal's Birthday


Michal celebrated her 2nd birthday on Friday. We had a total of 17 kids at our house, plus a few adults to celebrate with her.

I was nervous at first about entertaining so many little ones, but when I had the initial idea for a party I wanted to keep things simple. I shared this with Dylan and Mary, both of whom were totally supportive from the get go.

Besides that I wanted to let the kids have fun without planning for them, I did not want people to feel the need to buy gifts. Michal does not need anything, and I don't want my kids to value materials over people. Michal has more than her necessities met, and I truly did not want anyone to bring any gift but their own presence.

After that Friday night experience I will admit I have never been so confident about what kids do and do not need. Other than meeting their basic necessities, they don't need much. They need the opportunity to be kids and belong to a community.

I am thankful it went well, and I am thankful for what I learned. I am especially thankful to Dylan and Mary. Dylan was confident that our plan of nonplanning would be fun. Mary was strong and stable for me at the party (and before then too). It amused and relaxed me that she brought her snowpants and went outside with the kids. For a few minutes at least I felt like we were twelve years old again and without any worries. I was also able to appreciate that my parents played with us. My Dad was never shy to play soccer with us or have us race outside. My Mom played games and took us swimming. Neither of my parents cared what other people thought of them.

I love being able to reconnect with the simple, beautiful things in life. Kids can be such a source of joy if we let them be, but as adults, we forget how to play. Kids don't really need things to have fun---just each other. I hope to practice living a little more like a child this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment