Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Good News, Great Joy---Marley


Dylan and I received mail from the school district yesterday. It is nothing abnormal for us to receive mail from SPPS since we have a child in kindergarten, prekindergarten and ECFE in the Saint Paul School District. But we curiously opened our mail and were delightfully surprised to see Marley had tested really well in the Gifted & Talented Exam.

Marley is responsible, empathetic, posseses strong critical thinking and reasoning skills, is creative and imaginative. I can say so many wonderful things about her when she's not running circles around me. But most of the time, she is running circles around me (or someone else). Her social carelessness and speech/language struggle, as well as her ADHD traits have caused me to really worry about her, analyze what might be "wrong", and work to give her the necessary tools to be a successful person. I've had her tested by the school district and privately, thinking she needs special education services. When I opened the letter from the school district and saw how well Marley tested, I felt so proud and just stared at the sheet. I know she is intelligent, but I did not realize she would TEST well or that her intelligence would be measured accurately in the exam.

This morning when Dylan dropped Marley off at school, he asked, " What's your job at school today?" He must ask her all the time, because she rolled her eyes, smiled from ear to ear and said, "Have fun and learn, Dad."

Then as a command, as if playing drill sergeant, he said, "Go! Have fun and learn!"

I feel really proud of my family today.

No comments:

Post a Comment